political writings

Français    English    Italiano    Español    Deutsch    عربي    русский    Português

’New Arab League anti-Syria scheme reflects body’s confusion’

The Syrian ambassador to Egypt says a new Arab League proposal to send UN troops into Syria shows the “hysteria and confusion” of the Arab member states.

13 February 2012


The Arab League chamber

Yousef Ahmed said on Sunday that Damascus was “not interested in any decision issued” by the Arab organization.

Ahmed’s remarks came after the Arab League foreign ministers held a meeting in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, on Sunday and drafted a resolution on Syria that calls on the United Nations Security Council to send a joint UN-Arab League force into the country.

The Syrian official added that Damascus “categorically rejected” the proposed resolution.

Arab League officials said on Sunday that the draft also calls for a halt to “all forms of diplomatic cooperation” with Syria and “tighter economic sanctions” against Damascus.

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said during the Sunday meeting that the Arab League should “give all forms of support to the Syrian opposition.”

On November 12 last year, the Arab League agreed to suspend Syria’s membership in the organization.

The latest Arab League plan came two days after Syrian officials said 28 people were killed and dozens of others injured in twin car bombings at security compounds in the northwestern city of Aleppo on Friday.

On Saturday, Syrian state media said an armed “terrorist group” assassinated Brigadier General Issa al-Khawli, who was also the director of Hamish hospital, outside his home in the Ruknaddin district of the capital, Damascus.

The West and the Syrian opposition accuse the government of being behind the months-long unrest, but Damascus says “outlaws, saboteurs and armed terrorist groups” are responsible for the turmoil, which it says is being orchestrated from abroad.

HSN/GHN/HJL
Press TV, February 13, 2012.